Vocations » Single Life » Nine Ways to Live Your Faith as a Single Person
Nine Ways to Live Your Faith as a Single Person
1. Make time for prayer
- Reflect on the blessings and challenges of being single and the gifts you have to offer.
- Make prayer a part of your daily life.
- Use personal prayer, the Scriptures, journaling, meditation, and the Liturgy of the Hours.
- Schedule a personal or group retreat.
- Plan a pilgrimage to a holy site. Visit area shrines and other historical religious sites.
2. Practice forgiveness
- Learn to forgive and be forgiven.
- Examine your conscience, and practice fasting and sacrifice.
- Celebrate the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation.
3. Celebrate the Eucharist
- Actively participate each Sunday.
- Register with your parish, and if you've already done so, look for ways to get more involved in the liturgy as a lector, eucharistic minister, usher, musician, or choir member.
4. Live a just life
- Work against discrimination, racism, and oppression.
- Treat all people with the dignity they deserve as sons and daughters of God.
- Look for ways to simplify your life and share what you have with others.
- Read about the corporal and spiritual works of mercy.
- For great ideas visit the USCCB's Campus Ministry webpage
- Follow current events and learn how to take action by subscribing to Catholic Citizenship News.
5. Help the poor
- Look into local service opportunities or other ways your gifts can be used in service to others.
- Gather others together for group service projects. Practice charity by assisting those living in poverty, and promote community-based solutions for injustice and poverty.
6. Be a domestic church
- Take this opportunity to establish some personal traditions around holidays, special feast days, and other celebrations or memorials.
- Offer your home as a place for friendship and hospitality.
7. Share faith
- Talk about God's presence in your life with other people; be an evangelizer.
- Consider getting involved with your parish RCIA program for those learning more about the Catholic faith.
- Look for opportunities to invite others to experience your faith community.
8. Join a small Christian community
9. Know your faith
(Adapted from "Nine Ways to Live Jubilee and Be a Holy Person" in A Parishioner's Guide—Preparing for the Jubilee Year 2000. Content originally provided by www.usccb.org.)