Child Safety » Resources for Safe Environment Coordinators » School Updates
School Safe Environment Coordinators: As the school year winds down and summer approaches, please keep in mind the following important deadlines and information.
- Please make all database updates on or before Friday, June 15, 2012. The database is located at www.rcbmnh.org . At this time, it is a good idea to move to inactive status those volunteers whom you know will not be returning next fall. PLEASE UPDATE ANY PENDING NAMES! It is unlikely that there should be any people listed as pending at this time.
- Notify any volunteers who did not complete their Not on My Watch refresher training that they will not be eligible to volunteer in the fall if they do not complete the training by then.
- If you are working on revising your staff and/or family handbooks for the fall, you may want to update child safety information. In particular, please check on whether your handbooks include information about how to report suspected abuse.
- Websites: Review your school website and update any child safety links (check for broken links). You may wish to link to our diocesan child safety pages, CLICK HERE or forms CLICK HERE
- Contracts with independent contractors: If your school will be renewing any contracts with independent contractors who regularly work with minors, please keep in mind that certain safe environment language must be included in each of these contracts. The required contract language is available HERE.
- If you would like to schedule a live Protecting God’s Children session for the fall, you should contact your area’s trainer. Most new employees and volunteers will want to complete their training online from now on, but you may schedule a live session if you have the need. The trainers have limited availability and are scheduling on a first-come, first served basis.
- Last, if there will be a change in your school’s Safe Environment Coordinator in the fall, please contact Mary Ellen D’Intino as soon as possible to arrange for your new coordinator to be trained over the summer.
- No updates are necessary. We hope you will all be enjoying a well-deserved vacation.
- Coaches- Many sports programs begin this month. Please add the names of new coaches into the safe environment database as soon as they become available. Coaches only have 30 days to complete ALL safe environment requirements. High schools and junior high schools should request a list of all coaches from your athletic director as this list needs to be submitted to the Office for Ministerial Conduct in September (more information to follow).
- Employees- If staff members have not returned, move them to inactive status in the SED. As new staff are hired, please add their names into the database immediately. Make sure they complete their applications, acknowledgement forms, and criminal record checks/fingerprinting as part of the hiring process. Provide them with information about how to complete Not on My Watch online training. Employees, like coaches, only have 30 days from the date of hire to complete all requirements. Principals/athletic directors should inform new hires of this when they make an offer of employment.
- Teacher orientation day includes fingerprinting- Fingerprinting will be available on the day of the New Teacher Orientation. Any teachers who have not completed fingerprinting prior to the orientation session should plan to do so at the meeting. Coaches and support staff may take advantage of this opportunity as well. (The date of the orientation has not yet been finalized).