Child Safety » Resources for Safe Environment Coordinators
Resources for Safe Environment Coordinators
DOWNLOAD the Safe Environment Coordinator Manual - (pdf) - Must be viewed using Internet Explorer
Online Training Orientation for New Coordinators
Fingerprint Overview for Schools
Coordinating Safe Environment Practices
The Safe Environment Coordinator is appointed by the pastor of a parish or principal of a school to assist in ensuring that the Policy is fully implemented. The Safe Environment Coordinator:
- Coordinates training and background checks for employees and volunteers;
- Distributes child safety materials and information about diocesan child safety policies;
- Tracks completion of safe environment requirements for those who will work with minors;
- Assists in responding to inquiries and concerns;
- Submits compliance information to the Office for Ministerial Conduct.
Tips, Resources & Notices
Child Advocacy Center
- There is a Child Advocacy Center (CAC) in every county of New Hampshire, each providing coordinated support services to child victims of crime and their families. For more information about the advocacy centers, visit the Granite State Children’s Alliance website at http://cac-nh.org.
Safe Environment Database User Guide
- CLICK HERE to download the Safe Environment Database User Guide (pdf)
Reminders for Safe Environment Coordinators
Safe Environment Coordinators: Here are some summer reminders to make sure that all adults who work regularly with minors are in compliance with diocesan policy:
June and July
- Please update the Safe Environment Database to reflect each person’s current status. The quarterly deadline for all database updates is July 15. If employees or volunteers have resigned, please move them to inactive status. Please update any overdue individuals. Send notices to those who have not complied, and move them to inactive.
- Check your “active” list for anyone who was required to, but did not complete, Shield the Vulnerable refresher training. Notify these people through a letter, email, or bulletin announcement that they cannot work with minors in the fall if they do not complete their refresher training by then.
- Obtain the names of Vacation Bible School and other summer volunteers, provide them with information about requirements, and add them to your pending list.
- Place a note on your calendar with a reminder to include periodic notices in your parish bulletin about how to report suspected abuse. A cut and paste version of this information is available here.
- Parish website: Review your website and update any child safety links (check for broken links). You may wish to link to our diocesan child safety resources for parents: www.catholicnh.org/child-safety/parents or required forms: www.catholicnh.org/child-safety/forms, and or use the graphics here.
- Last, if there will be a change in your parish’s Safe Environment Coordinator in the fall, please contact Mary Ellen D’Intino at 669-3100 x 149 or firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to arrange for your new coordinator to be trained over the summer.
- Begin adding the names of new employees or volunteers to the database for tracking purposes. Be sure to list them as PENDING so you do not forget about them. Don’t forget to check names on the sex offender registry
- Distribute information to new volunteers explaining the safe environment requirements and timelines for completion.
- Move to inactive the names of volunteers or employees who will not be returning.
- Please make all database updates by the last day of school. At this time, it is a good idea to move to inactive status any employees and volunteers whom you know will not be returning next fall. PLEASE UPDATE ANY PENDING NAMES! It is unlikely that there should be any people listed as pending at this time.
- If you are working on revising your staff and/or family handbooks for the fall, you may want to update child safety information. In particular, please check on whether your handbook includes information about how to report suspected abuse.
- School Website: Review your school website and update any child safety links. You may wish to link to our diocesan child safety resources for parents: www.catholicnh.org/child-safety/parents or important forms: www.catholicnh.org/child-safety/forms. Also, you can add a graphic link with reporting instructions- find the links here.
- Contracts with independent contractors: If your school will be renewing any contracts with independent contractors who regularly work with minors, please keep in mind that certain safe environment language must be included in each of these contracts. This language can be found here under ‘Guidelines.’
- Last, if there will be a change in your school’s Safe Environment Coordinator in the fall, please contact Mary Ellen D’Intino at 669-3100 x 149 or email@example.com as soon as possible to arrange for your new coordinator to be trained over the summer.
No updates are necessary! We hope you will all be enjoying a well-deserved vacation.
Please pay special attention to:
- Coaches- Many sports programs begin this month. Please add the names of new coaches into the safe environment database as soon as they become available. High schools and junior high schools should request a list of coaches’ names from the athletic director to ensure that all coaches are accounted for.
- Employees- If staff members have not returned, move them to inactive status in the database. As new staff are hired, please add their names into the database immediately. Provide them with information about how to complete our online training. Make sure they complete their applications and criminal record checks/fingerprinting as part of the hiring process.
THANK YOU AND HAVE A GREAT SUMMER! PLEASE CALL US IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR NEED ASSISTANCE.
Mary Ellen D’Intino firstname.lastname@example.org 663-0149
Eve Mongeau email@example.com 663-0109
Previously Published Notices
- CLICK HERE to read the best practices that have been indentified over the last few years..
Safe Environment Newsletters
For more information, please contact:
Mary Ellen D'Intino
Delegate for Ministerial Conduct
Director of Safe Environment Programs
Safe Environment Assistant